Earth Day History – Ecology activism groundwork grew from repeat “smog episodes” during 1952-66 that killed thousands in London and New York. Britain set the first Clean Air Act in 1956. In 1962, Earth Day’s foundation was set when Silent Spring book by Rachel Carson exposed health challenges of DDT usage. Then in 1969, a massive oil spill off the central California Coast woke environmentalists into action. Senator Gaylord Nelson from Wisconsin took action by promoting grassroots “teach-ins” on environment education. He asked that they be held on April 22, 1970. Over 20 million Americans participated in that 1st Earth Day. Within a year, U.S. politicians reacted by creating: Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Environmental Protection Agency, and Endangered Species Protection Act. The rest is herstory.
Read More About It – Blog posts HERE at The Earth Needs Love highlights global challenges now. Youth-led site posts current info on global environment, sustainability, water issues, climate challenges and more.
2021 Early Earth Week Fun
April 10th-21st Events
- Green Santa Clarita has daily education and action for you on facebook from Apr 10-22 at: https://www.facebook.com/GreenSantaClarita
- Drive Electric Earth Day offers SoCal virtual electric vehicle events Apr 13, 17 and 27 at: https://driveelectricearthday.org/events-search
- Eastern Sierra has a few Earth Week events at: https://www.highsierraenergy.org/earthweek2021 activities include –
- Lone Pine Tribal Earth Day Apr 17th 9a-12:30p info at: https://lppsr.org/wp/
- Eastern Sierra Mountain Film Festival – this virtual screening Apr 23-25 of films celebrating mountain culture and environmentalism. Film lineup HERE.
- Edible Garden and Compost Hub Virtual Tour by Cal State LA’s Environmental Policy Committee and Edible Garden Club. April 21st 2p-3p Zoom ID: 960 7361 8351 Password: LetsGrow
- Project Learning Tree has tons of Earth Week activities for teachers and students at: https://www.plt.org/educator-tips/earth-day-activities/
Cali Earth Week Fun
April 23-25 Activities in Central and SoCal
- City of Santa Barbara and CEC present 3-day virtual event at: https://sbearthday.org/
- City of Fresno presents a virtual event at: https://www.earthdayfresno.org/
- City of Visalia offers in person event for area residents. Check website before you go for any changes HERE.
- Climate Changemakers Teen Filmmakers Festival – virtual screening of SaMo based fest at: https://www.newroads.org/climate-changemaker-film-festival
- California State Park Foundation offers activities online and around the State at: https://www.calparks.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer/earthday
- California Youth Action Network hosts college campus online activism at: https://www.cyanonline.org/
2021 Earth Day Action!
Global / National Virtual Events
- Decolonizing Earth Day! A virtual event on Apr 23rd from 5-7p Central Time via Facebook & YouTube live by Mitig Nation and Family of Trees. Learn about tree care, soil health, planting, with live performances, panelists and more. (Mitig = Tree in Ojibwa) at: https://mnearthday.org/event/decolonizing-earth-day/
- 3-Days of Climate Change Action at: https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-2021/
- Start off Apr 20th with: a virtual global youth climate summit during the day and a “We Shall Breathe” justice summit during the evening.
- Join Apr 21st Global Educator Summit featuring multilingual teacher action / education.
- April 22nd EARTH DAY LIVE – starts at Noon ET, a plethora of audio / visual activities. Enjoy performances, workshops and so much more.
- Find hundreds of other events on the global earth day event map at:
MORE TO COME…