By Grace Colbert
Why should we celebrate trees?
Take a look outside. Chances are, you can see a tree or two from your window! Trees are essential to life on Earth and are important for both humans and animals.
Perhaps most importantly, trees give off oxygen through a process called photosynthesis. We need oxygen to live! Trees also give nutrients- or food- to the soil so other plants and trees can continue to grow. Many animals make their homes in trees, like woodpeckers, sloths, and beetles. Humans use the wood from trees to make many everyday products such as wood for building, paper, and even chewing gum! Trees sure give us a lot, so here are some ideas for how we can celebrate and give back to them!
How can we celebrate trees?
- Write a poem in the shape of a tree like this example
- Draw a tree
- Study the trees’ leaves
- Take a tree walk. Use this guide and see how many different trees you can identify
- Sit under a tree and play “fistfuls of sounds”. With your eyes closed, count how many different sounds you can hear. Can you count 10 different sounds?
- Watch and Learn
How can we give back to trees?
- Donate/Plant: Planting a tree is a great way to give back and help replace some of the trees humans use to make products.
- Preserve: You can help trees in your daily life by being kind and letting them grow. Have you ever seen a tree with words or markings carved into it? Or maybe you’ve seen someone break off a tree branch to use as a walking stick? While it may seem like fun, these actions are harmful to trees. You can do your part and leave them be. Help remind your friends and family to do the same, and together we can protect our trees for years to come.
- Volunteer: Join GATE as a volunteer with the Tree Force! GATE identifies trees in need of help and assigns volunteers to special projects in the Tehachapi area. Projects may include clearing brush, removing dead sections, or cutting constraints from around trees to promote improved growth.